Monday, May 12, 2014

Lordy! here i am catching up -- again!

so, here i am again, catching up on posting our paintings!  i have good excuses -- a cold that stuck with me for nearly the last three weeks, and my retirement this past friday.  i'm going to do my best to post daily -- or however often we create! -- from now on!  melissa

Hi there.Oh, dear!  I think my fish muse swam up the wrong stream, the one by the cannery.  Twice.  Forgive the mischief.  These first two dawned on me . . . well, they dawned on me pre-dawn today, but my pad wasn't letting me send out any emails this morning for some reason.  The cheap Andy soup one I did a few days ago.   "WHITE, WHOLE WHEAT, OR RYE?"  Mike
Chunky Tuna in Oil -- Mike

A Warhol in My Price Range -- Mike
I seem to be stuck on tuna: an obsession continues.  It's not just for lunch anymore.  Mike

(Started this a couple go days ago. Now, as earlier promised, I put my brushes down until Monday.) Mike

Good morning. I know what you mean about pottery.  And, it seems, the older it is the better.  I think you went into the pottery shop near our home.  Whenever I enter that place and spend a few minutes I find myself refreshed.  Cheap therapy, eh.  Likewise, drawing pottery.  Do you think there's something intrinsic - of the earth, maybe - in pottery itself that affects us that way?  I'm enclosing one I don't think I've sent you.  Like your yellow piece, it's a product of my imagination, as are the flowers.   Mike (in response to my pottery below)
Some things I like. (And, I just found a typo!)  Melissa

I really like pottery. Jugs, crocks, bowls, pitchers, you name it.  The tall crockery bottle held Sake -- a gift to my father many, many years ago from someone who had traveled to Japan.  The bottle was too lovely to throw away and I've displayed in my apartment and both our houses. The brown jug is from the 30's or 4o's and was antique store bought. The little mustard yellow jar is a figment of my imagination. I'd like to find one like it.   Melissa

On my mind.  My small group Bible study has a food and fellowship night a few times a year.  Glenn comes with me to these events and enjoys himself.  On Tuesday night, the group surprised me by turning the food and fellowship gathering into a Grandparent shower. We had so much fun opening bag after bag of wonderful things for the baby and some for us -- picture frames, photo albums, etc.  The baby (whose name is still up in the air) is 34 weeks old and would most probably be just fine if she were to come now. Her mom and dad are ready for her and we're all anxious to meet her,  but we're hoping she continues cooking for another 4-5 weeks.  Melissa

Melissa

My Last Work Day in Gifts.  My co-workers overwhelmed me with retirement gifts.  Books from my Amazon wish list, a turning fork for gardening, a cast iron pie plate for use on the wood stove and outdoor kitchen Erika and I are day dreaming about, a bottle of San Diego Zoo label wine, (and a bunch of yummy treats to go with it that I didn't draw.) a mug with sweet sentiments autographed on it, a three month subscription to a craft-a-month service, a gorgeous live plant arrangement with anthuriums, and a nearly life sized carved wood guinea fowl sculpture from Africa that I had been coveting in the Zoo gift shop for a couple of years.  And champagne at lunch!  My last day at work -- almost exactly 45 years after my first day at work -- was perfect. I couldn't have asked for anything better.  Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment